Building relationships requires a plan of action. Take the time to plan out your strategy so you can maximize your effort.
Without the proper planning, you will have a more difficult time growing a quality network. Below are some ideas to assist you in putting together a relationship building plan.
- List your networking goals - Think about what you want to get out of building relationships. Do you want to find new clients, employees, partners, friends, etc.?
- List who you want to meet - Think about the types of people who you want to meet. Do you want to meet industry experts, referral partners, clients, etc.?
- List places you will meet new people - Think about what activities you need to participate in to meet new people. Will you need to attend events, meet others online, get referrals, etc.?
- List how you will leverage your existing network - Think about how you will interact with your current network so you can benefit from your relationships. Will you ask for strategic introductions, advice, or employment assistance?
- List how you will utilize online tools - Think about how you plan on using online tools to enhance your brand and your network. Will you connect on LinkedIn, share your expertise on Twitter, or get personal on Facebook?
What other ideas do you have for putting together a relationship building plan?