While relationship building takes both sides, you should not sit back and wait for people to come to you. Be proactive and seek out the people who you want to meet.
In addition, you should be proactive in managing your existing relationships. Stay in front of your network so you are top of mind.
Building the right kind of relationships will help you to accelerate your career and business. Take ownership of making that happen.
Here are a few ways to be proactive in building your relationships:
- Attend industry events to meet the speakers who are thought leaders
- Leverage LinkedIn to target specific people
- Ask your existing network for introductions
- Reach out to published thought leaders
- Contact journalists who write about interesting people
- Read and comment on blogs of those who you want to meet
- Retweet thoughts from experts
Keep in mind that you can create your own destiny. You should take appropriate actions so you can get in front of those who you want to meet.