Mastering Communication at Work was written by Ethan Becker and Jon Wortmann who are both leadership communication experts. Ethan is president and senior coach for Speech Improvement Company and he specializes in motivating teams, strengthening executive communication, controlling fear of speaking, and developing effectiveness in public presentations. Jon is the principal of Muse Arts, LLC. and is an advisor and speaker on leaderhip, communication, and building trusted relationships.
The book is broken up into the following chapters:
- Match Your Listener's Tendency
- Manage Your Ethos
- Speak to Motivate
- Add Color
- Communication as a Hard Sell
Communication is critical to anyone's success whether inside or outside of the work environment. In order to have an impact within your organization, it is important to have a communication playbook so you can react positively to various situations around you.
The book provides a guide on becoming a master communicator. The authors provide techniques that you can easily implement to have immediate impact on teams, clients, and your relationships. By understanding the strategies in this book, you can improve your organization.
Below are a few of the concepts discussed in the book:
- Clear, actionable advice you can put to use right away
- Descriptions of the communication tendencies everyone needs to be able to identify and execute
- Simple drills to practice during your next meeting, one-on-one conversation, or even sitting at your desk
- Case studies, success stories, and original research proving the impact of the authors' techniques and formats
The authors do a nice job of explaining the various concepts in a very logical manner. By sprinkling case studies throughout the book, the reader has a real world understanding of the impact of a particular technique. If you want to learn how to be a more effective listener, communicator, and leader, then this book may be worth a read.