By Brian Tracy and Christina Tracy Stein
Authors of Kiss That Frog: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives inYour Life and Work
Your natural state is to be happy, peaceful, joyous, and full of excitementat being alive. In this natural state you wake up each morning eager to startthe day. You feel wonderful about yourself and your relationships with thepeople in your life. You enjoy your work and derive a great sense ofsatisfaction from making a contribution that makes a difference. Your primarygoal should be to organize your life in such a way that this is how you feelmost of the time.
As a fully functioning, fully mature adult, you should be doing things everyday that move you toward the fulfillment of your potential. You should feelgrateful for all your blessings in every area. If you are unhappy ordissatisfied in any part of your life, something is not right in your thoughts,feelings, or actions, and it needs to be corrected.The starting point in unlocking your full potential is to realize that you alreadyare a prince or princess, deep down inside.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -- AbrahamLincoln
No matter where you are today, or what you have done or not done in thepast, you need to accept seven essential truths about you as a person:
1. You are a thoroughly good and excellent person; valuableand worthwhile beyond measure. No one is better than you or more gifted thanyou.Only when you doubt your essential goodness and value do you begin toquestion yourself. The inability to accept that you are a good person lies atthe root of much of your discontent.
2. You are important, in many, many ways. To start with, youare important to yourself. Your personal universe revolves around you as anindividual. You give meaning to everything that you see or hear. Nothing inyour world has any significance except for the significance that you attributeto it.You are also important to your parents. Your birth was a significant momentin their lives, and as you grew up, almost everything you did was meaningful tothem.You are important to your own family, to your partner or spouse, yourchildren, and the other members of your social circle. Some of the things youdo or say have an enormous impact on them.You are important to your company, your customers, your coworkers, and yourcommunity. The things you do or don't do can have a tremendous effect on thelives and work of others.How important you feel largely determines the quality of your life. Happy, successful people feel important and valuable. Because they feel and act thisway, it becomes true for them.Unhappy, frustrated people feel unimportant and of little value. They feelfrustrated and unworthy. They feel "I'm not good enough," and as aresult they lash out at the world and engage in behaviors that hurt themselvesand others.They don't realize that they could be a prince or princess inside.
3. You have unlimited potential and the ability to create yourlife and your world as you desire. You could not use your entire potential ifyou lived one hundred lifetimes.No matter what you have accomplished up to now, it is merely a hint of whatis truly possible for you. And the more of your natural talents and abilitiesyou develop in the present, the more of your potential you can develop in thefuture.Your belief in your almost unlimited potential is the key to becomingeverything you are truly capable of becoming.
4. You create your world in every respect by the way you thinkand the depth of your convictions. Your beliefs actually create your realities,and every belief you have about yourself you learned, starting ininfancy. The amazing thing is that most of the negative or self-limitingbeliefs and doubts that interfere with your happiness and success are not basedon fact or reality at all.When you begin to question your self-limiting beliefs and develop beliefsconsistent with the incredible person you really are, your life will begin tochange almost immediately.
5. You are always free to choose the content of your thoughtsand the direction of your life. The one thing over which you have completecontrol is your inner life and your thinking. You can decide to think happy,fulfilling, uplifting thoughts that lead to positive actions and results. Oryou can, by default, end up choosing negative, selflimiting thoughts that tripyou up and hold you back.Your mind is like a garden: if you do not deliberately cultivate flowers,weeds will grow automatically without any effort on your part. If you do notdeliberately plant and cultivate positive thoughts, negative thoughts will growin their place.This simple metaphor about the garden explains why so many people areunhappy and don't know why.
6. You are put on this earth with a great destiny: you aremeant to do something wonderful with your life. You have a unique combinationof talents, abilities, ideas, insights, and experiences that make you differentfrom anyone who has ever lived. You are designed for success and engineered forgreatness.Your acceptance or nonacceptance of this point largely determines the sizeof the goals you set, your power of persistence in the face of adversity, theheight of your achievements, and the whole direction of your life.
7. There are no limits to what you can do, be, or have exceptthe limits you place on your own thinking and your own imagination. The biggestenemies you will ever face are your own doubts and fears. These are usuallynegative beliefs, not necessarily based on fact, that you have accepted overthe years until you no longer question them.As Shakespeare wrote in The Tempest, "What's past isprologue." Everything that has happened to you in the past has been apreparation for the wonderful life that lies ahead of you in the future.Remember the rule: It doesn't matter where you're coming from; all thatreally matters is where you're going.